Tuesday 11 January 2011

Soapbox artist of the week::Jon Jet-Coaster

Every week we will be raising 1 artist upon the Soapbox. This weeks Soapbox feature artist interview is with the St.Helens based photographer Jon Jet-Coaster.

How long have you been a photographer and what got you started?

I grew up with my grandparents and my grandfather was a photographer, so I have been immersed in it from a very young age. Interest waned a little during high school, but I bought a cheap camera and just started shooting anything I could. I guess the recent push into real photography came when I started a photography course with a friend. We enjoyed it so much that we decided to run with it and make a career out of it.
What influences you?

The process of capturing an image, a memory of a moment in time that is special to someone is amazing. Photographing wildlife, flowers, a birthday celebration or wedding,, moments that come and go just as quick and preserving that feeling for other people.
I love candid street photography and big events as well as portraiture and wildlife.. I guess I like every aspect of photography. If I could have any photography job in the world, I would love to be a war photographer. :D
What projects are you currently involved in?

I am currently doing a lot of work with Imperial in St Helens. This ranges from general photography work, to promotion and celebrity photo shoots. I am also working along side a large number of local artists under the name 'Platform' to encourage both the local council and people to get involved in the arts and also to help find artist workshop and exhibition spaces within the town
What does the future hold?

Hmm, who knows really? I am working with a partner to establish a photography business within St Helens and over the next year we are looking to be fully set up and running. I am also continuing my work with Imperial and building up a list of contacts both professional and celebrity that are interested in my photographs. Maybe this will be the boost I need to get myself out there and make something out of it.
What advice would you give someone hoping to start photography?

First of all, make sure that you carry your camera with you everywhere! You never know when you will see something that is a once in a lifetime opportunity or something that catches your eye. Photography is an expensive hobby, but you don't have to have any expensive kit or fancy lenses to take a photograph, even something such as a mobile phone camera or simple point and shoot will do, but you probably wont get the best quality images. Even so, photography is about capturing a moment that has an interest to you, or will be important in someone else's life and it doesn't matter how much you spend on your kit, as long as you know the basics and how light and lenses work, you will always manage to take a good picture in practically any situation. Just keep shooting everything you see and you will soon improve and move on to bigger and better things.



For more information email Jon at: Jon@handlewithcake.co.uk

4 comments:

  1. Great images Jon, can't believe I haven't seen them before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks Kevin,, I think one or two are on my facebook, but the majority of my pics are just bunged away on my computer and hardly ever see the light of day :( it's such a shame! :P haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful work jon.......lets see more..x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent shots Jon, really captured the specific moment in time. Yes people would love them, can we see some more? x

    ReplyDelete